Base 11: The Repentance
MEGA ZOÉ (ABUNDANT LIFE) CHURCH
TRAINING SCHOOL FOR DISCIPLES AND LEADERS
SECOND LEVEL – BIBLICAL FOUNDATIONS FOR AN ABUNDANT CHRISTIAN LIFE
Study Num. 11
Memorize: Matthew 3:8 “Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.”
Introduction: Jesus asks all His disciples that our fruits be the product of a true repentance. Today you will study about repentance, which means: to lament all the evil you have done and to change your mind and purpose. The advantage of someone who repents of true heart, seeking forgiveness and restitution of all the evil he has done is that he will be lifted up and lead to peace in his soul and spirit. Many people who go to church are still living, hiding from their sins and carrying the guilt of sins that they had never been repented of. There is no freedom in them, and God’s blessing does not flow in them. The true repentance is the only thing that can save the sinner who comes to Jesus. And when a Christian, lamentably, falls in sin, the repentance is the only thing that can give him/her the peace back. So you’ll learn in this study the biblical truth about this important matter.
- Of our attitudes and answers to God, the first of all should be the repentance.
- To make a pact with Jesus for eternal life, what you should do is REPENT OF ALL THAT IS SIN. “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that _________________ may be wiped out, that __________________________________ may come from the Lord,” Acts 3:19
- What happen to those who do not repent? Luke 13:3
- The Lord receives as a pleasant sacrifice those who humiliate his/her spirit before Him. For God will not ________________ a contrite and humiliated heart. Psalm 51:17
- Charles Spurgeon, the great preacher of 1800’s England, said: “the real repentance brings more repentance when he who repents starts to experience God’s forgiveness.” So the real repentance brings PROFOUND CHANGES in the life of who repents. Have you repented before God and have you changed radically?
- The way of repentance is the only road to every one who wants to escape from all evil, of all that disturbs him/her to escape from the coming judgments. “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to ________________________.” 2 Peter 3:9
- Do not be taken in living in sins and wrongs that go and come back to you, becoming your chasers. When sin is present, the Holy Spirit goes from you. When David sinned and he repented, he asked the Lord: “Do not cast me from your presence or take your __________________ from me. Psalm 51:11
- You should not play with sin. It is dangerous. The sin leads to darken your conscience, and many lose it completely. “To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are____________. Titus 1:15
- The first step to activate or revive a cauterized or dead conscience is to take responsibility of our guilt; be responsible of the evil we had done. There are many who escape of that responsibility. That’s why they could not lift up and start again.
- Since the beginning in the Garden of Eden man wanted to evade and pass the responsibility for his sins damage to others. Adam said to God: “The woman you put here with me–she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.” Genesis 3:12 And when God asked the woman, she said: “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.” Genesis 3:13 So IT SEEMS THAT NO ONE WAS TO BLAME! But, who will deceit God?
- Isn’t it better to accept the blame and assume the responsibility before God? Or are you afraid of what people will say? Isn’t it better to fix your dark affairs of sin with God? Men will not justify or lift us up, but God who sees our repentance and assume our responsibility. God exalts who really humiliates. Luke 18:13 Many in Mega Zoé have proved His mercy and they had been lifted.
- An example of repentance is the case of Jacob’s sons, and especially Judah, who after 20 years, admitted his mistake and regretted his great sin of selling Joseph, his brother. Genesis 42:21
a) In Genesis 42:21-24 we see that THE CONFESSION IS NECESSARY. Joseph’s brothers started to open their mouth to confess. Jail was necessary to wake up their consciences. Has a similar situation ever came to you and awakened your conscience?
b) Time can not erase the anguish of those who sin harming another person. That anguish can only be erased through repentance.
c) Judah, one of Jacob’s sons, had taken the principal role in his brother’s selling as a slave. And after that, we see him offering himself as a hostage, paying the guilt of his first criminal instincts. This really was a repentance of heart.
13. We have to distinguish the true repentance of those that are
not and fail, here we have four of them:
a) The carnal repentance – caused by the fear of punishment; as in Cain’s case. Genesis 4:13
b) The transitory repentance – lasts for a short time; as in Pharaoh’s case. Exodus 9:27, 28, 34
c) The superficial repentance – retains the sin; as Pilate did. John 19:12, 16
d) The repentance of desperation – which ends in death; as Judas did. Matthew 27:3-5
14. I will seek the pain according to God, which produces repentance and forgive the sins. “yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to ________________________. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were ______________________ in any way by us”. 2 Corinthians 7:9
Now you know clearly what repentance means. The true repentance brings more repentance each day and we feel free and forgiven by the Lord. The peace that Christ gives is unique. This peace is for His children, for His disciples. In the next study you’ll learn about another great blessing from God for you and yours.
Corrected by leader: __________________________________