Base 09: The Baptism
MEGA ZOÉ (ABUNDANT LIFE) CHURCH
TRAINING SCHOOL FOR DISCIPLES AND LEADERS
FIRST LEVEL – BIBLICAL FOUNDATIONS FOR AN ABUNDANT
Study Num. 9
Memorize: Mark 16:16 “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.”
Introduction: The baptism is for the believer and no one can receive it if has not believed in the Lord Jesus as his/her personal Savior. You have born again now and you have the right to be baptized. The baptism is a great privilege, since it confirms us before God as believers; it is the seal of our faith. Receiving the baptism is a symbol of our membership in Christ and the church. In the act of baptism we affirm before the whole world and before God that we have died to our old man and that we are new creatures in Christ now.
What is baptism?
1. This word comes from the biblical word “baptize” from the original Greek: which means “to submerge”. So the baptism is a symbolic act to submerge in water the new believer. (Acts 8:36, 37)
2. We believed in Christ and we died to our old man of sin. Now they “bury” us in the water and we rise from it as a new creature. (Colossians 2:12)
3. When we are baptized we testify in public that we have taken
our place by the side of God and that we are identified with the saints’ fraternity. You are not a visitor at our church any more, you are from the house.
4. The baptism is a constant reminder that our sins have been
washed away with our Savior’s blood.
In fulfilling the baptism commandment:
1. Now it’s known that you have all the benefits of the church’s
coverture, since you already are a brother that:
a. Come to church frequently; b. Love your brothers and the pastors; c. Participate of the communion with your brothers (ministries, activities, visits, missions, Holy Supper, etc.); d. Love your church, do not criticize it; e. Read the Scriptures, pray, fast and do good works.
The baptism is an act of obedience:
1. The baptism comes by repentance. Matthew 3:6
2. Jesus did not have to repent for anything, He voluntarily obeyed to fulfill in this way with all righteousness. Matthew 3:13-15
3. So the highest example of being baptized was Jesus’: Luke 3:21 “When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened,”
The following are other examples of baptism:
1. Acts 2:41: (The believers in Pentecost’s Day) “Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.”
2. Acts 8:12: (The converted in Samaria) “But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.”
3. Acts 9:18: (Saul of Tarsus, Paul) “Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized,”
4. Acts 16:15: (Lydia of Thyatira) “When she and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home. “If you consider me a believer in the Lord,” she said, “come and stay at my house.” And she persuaded us.”
5. Acts 16:33: (The jailer and his family in Philippi) “At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized.”
6. Acts 18:8: (The believers in Corinth) “Crispus, the synagogue ruler, and his entire household believed in the Lord; and many of the Corinthians who heard him believed and were baptized.”
John the Baptist began administering the baptism:
1. Matthew 3:6 “Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.”
2. Acts 19:3 “So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?” “John’s baptism,” they replied.
3. Acts 13:24 “Before the coming of Jesus, John preached repentance and baptism to all the people of Israel.”
Jesus left the ordinance for all His disciples to be baptized:
1. You are a disciple of Christ, you should be baptized.
2. Mark 16:16 “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.”
a. If you believe and are baptized, you are saved.
b. If you don’t believe, you can not be baptized and will be condemned.
3. John 3:5 “Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can
enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the
4. Acts 2:38 “Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
5. Acts 22:16 “And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.”
The great importance of the baptism:
- We are inserted in Jesus, covered by Him as we are covered by our clothes: Galatians 3:27 “for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.”
- We die to ourselves, to the old man and when we are baptized, God looks at us as we have been buried and raised with Christ. Colossians 2:12 “having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.”
- In the baptism we take Jesus’ sufferings and His great victory over sin, against death and against Satan. You are more than a conqueror. Romans 8:37
Now you know what baptism is. As a believer and disciple of Jesus Christ now you are ready to be baptized. You will give testimony in heaven and to men of your faith in Lord Jesus as your Savior and Lord and that you are not ashamed of the gospel because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes. Romans 1:16
Corrected by the leader:________________________________
Our congratulations! You have finished with all the studies in level 1, the Biblical Foundations for an Abundant Christian Life. These lessons are part of the curriculum of our TRAINING SCHOOL FOR DISCIPLES AND LEADERSHIP of your Mega Zoé (Abundant Life) Church. You advance now to level 2, which lessons will strengthen more your faith and will provide you with more biblical knowledge. After you finish level 2, you will go to study the leadership bases of Mega Zoé, level 3. Your leader will continue to help you in your good way to the discipleship. Go on with Jesus!