Study_1057 – God does everything so that our faith can grow – John 11:1-16
MEGA ZOE CHRISTIAN CHURCH STUDY #1057- CHURCH IN THE HOUSES
PASTOR: EDITH CRUZ STUDY: NOVEMBER 12 @ 18, 2019
TOPIC: “God Does Everything So That Our Faith Can Grow” John 11:1-16
Jesus was a friend of this family, natives of the village of Bethany, composed of Mary, Martha and Lazarus (Vs. 1). Jesus, our Savior, was a very good friend of them and loved them (Vs. 3, 5 & 11). A friend is a person who professes his love to another, it is a feeling that lives latent within one, a feeling that is mostly hidden, that is, that exists in one without externalizing. Let us understand that Jesus is love in all His essence. No one like Him for us to learn of the love towards someone. Let’s learn about Jesus’ love for the members of this family and let’s look at the way He moved with them. Such is Jesus! That we should never doubt Him, of His great love!
I. This was a family that lived in the village of Bethany in Israel.
A. It was the village of Mary and Martha (Vs. 1).
1. That was an honest and happy family and with whom the Lord had a special friendship.
2. Mary and Martha had a brother named Lazarus (Vs. 2).
3. The sisters knew that their brother was severely ill and with confidence they write to Jesus: “Lord, THE ONE YOU LOVE is ill (Vs. 3).”
4. These women were “friends” of Jesus; they knew where to find Him to tell their cause with confidence.
5. They had their trust in the Lord!
6. It is shown here that there was (Vs. 3-5) a reciprocal friendship (which is received to the same extent as it is given).
7. They appeal to His love for the brother as a special reason expecting Jesus to come and help.
8. But, Jesus, He knows everything! And He said: “This sickness will not end in death… (Vs. 4).”
9. Death was not going to be permanent; a miracle was going to happen!
10. The true PURPOSE of the illness would be, “…for the glory of God…”, “… so that God’s Son may be glorified by (through) it.”
11. The reason for all this was that God would make His Son Jesus Christ manifest Himself and rise Lazarus from the dead and thus manifest Himself again to Israel as the true Messiah.
12. Lazarus loved Jesus.
13. This illness was directly related with the love of the Lord and not with His wrath.
14. So Lazarus’ death did not put an end to his life.
15. Jesus, “…stayed where He was two more days. (Vs. 6).”
16. It must be seen that all that the Lord Jesus did was in OBEDIENCE to His Father’s will towards Him and in harmony with God’s program.
17. After all, it would also be to test the faith of Lazarus’ sisters.
18. Then, Jesus told His disciples that they would go to Judea again (Vs. 7).
19. (Vs. 8) The disciples still remembered with pain how the Jews wanted to stone the Lord after giving sight to the blind man (John Chap. 9 & 10:31).
20. For the disciples, it was such a great personal danger to return to Judea!
21. And Jesus said to them (Vs. 9): “Are there not twelve hours of daylight? A man who walks by day will not stumble…” With daylight it is easy to work and to see what can be stumbled upon, see the dangers. It was not fearful for Jesus to return, He walked in light; the Lord was walking in perfect obedience to the will of God!
22. There was no danger that He would die before the appointed time.
23. (Vs. 10) He who stumbles easily is because he is not faithful to God, has no enlightenment in his path, walks in darkness, like the night, “…he stumbles, for he has no light in him.”
24. (Vs.11) “Our FRIEND Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.”
25. Lazarus’ soul was already with God; Jesus was going to wake his body.
26. Jesus calls those who believe in Him, FRIENDS!
27. (Vs. 16) In this comment that Thomas made a spirit of pessimism and dejection from those who were with Him can be seen, very negative, “… that we may die with him.”
28. (Vs. 21) And Martha’s reproach was that if Jesus had been there, He would have prevented Lazarus from dying.
29. Her faith was imperfect!
30. She believed that He could only do so if He, Jesus, was physically present.
31. Martha ignored that the Lord could heal from a distance and even less that He could RISE THE DEAD.
32. Let us keep in mind, then, ALL THINGS ARE IN THE HANDS OF THE LORD AND NOTHING HAPPENS TO HIS OWN WITHOUT HIS PERMISSION!
33. Nothing to claim! He is a FRIEND and claims are not made to a friend, but understood. Amen.